Juneteenth, June 19th, marks the day in 1865 when troops arrived in Galveston, TX to ensure that all enslaved people knew they were freed. This happened two and a half years after the Emancipation Proclamation was signed. As such, this American holiday is the first official day that recognizes freedom of the formerly enslaved people.
As Blue Prism’s values (Professional, Robust but Respectful, Integrity, Success-driven and eMpowered) suggest, Blue Prism strongly believes in the values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging and the benefits derived from working in diverse and inclusive environments.
Last year was the first time Blue Prism marked the day, and though it falls on a Saturday, I am happy to know that Blue Prism is honoring Juneteenth by observing it in the US on June 18th, and inviting all employees to take a day of service to volunteer, serve or reflect. Black Professionals in Intelligent Automation (BPinIA) encourages folks to look at how they can serve, support, include and/or learn about Juneteenth and the Black community, in the Americas and elsewhere. We recommend some organizations and resources below.
Some of the battles that led to Juneteenth are still ongoing, and other communities are affected by those struggles. We are proud that Blue Prism is committed to enhancing opportunities for all marginalized groups to eliminate barriers internally and in the technology industry generally, by supporting the recognition of this historic occasion.
Organizations that fight for justice and freedom
- Equal Justice Initiative - An organization that focuses on racial justice, criminal justice reform, and public education.
- Innocence Project - An organization that exonerates the wrongly convicted through DNA
- Marsha P. Johnson Institute - An organization that protects and defends the human rights of Black transgender people by organizing, advocating, and creating an intentional community to heal, developing transformative leadership.
General Ways to Learn More
- Juneteenth - Juneteenth historical website
- 13th - Documentary About the 13th amendment to the US Constitution
- Amend - Series that focuses on the fight for inclusion of all groups via the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution.